If you drive a car but don’t own a car, then you need to consider non-owner car insurance. It can be a relatively affordable way to purchase auto insurance liability coverage without the title of a car. Typically, these rates are cheaper than standard car insurance because you aren’t the primary driver of the car.
Luckily, there are many non-owner car insurance companies that offer solid policies at affordable prices. Keep reading to find out more
Overview of the best non-owner car insurance companies
Progressive offers flexible options across the board for car insurance.
For non-owners car insurance, it offers policy options to help you protect yourself while driving.
If you aren’t sure about whether or not you truly need non-owners car insurance, then the series of questions offered by Progressive can help to sort that out.
You’ll answer a quick quiz to find out whether or not you need this type of insurance in this situation.
- Helpful process. With a straightforward series of questions, you can quickly determine if you truly need this insurance.
- Name Your Price tool. You can use this tool to find an option in your budget.
- Low customer rating. Not every customer is happy with their overall service, according to their customer reviews.
Who is Progressive best for?
If you are working with a tight budget, then the “Name Your Price” tool will come in handy. You can let Progressive know what you can pay and they will work to find a policy that fits within that budget.
State Farm is a well-known insurance company that offers non-owners car insurance to drivers.
You’ll be able to work with State Farm in any state in the country. However, the rates will vary based on your state’s requirements. Luckily, you have several levels of coverage options available through State Farm.
The company offers stellar customer service to help you handle claims quickly. Although the quotes offered by State Farm may be on the higher end, you can sort through the discounts available to make the cost more reasonable.
- Fast customer service. If you do have to file a claim, State Farm is known for its quick turnaround times. You’ll be back on the road quickly with minimal hassle.
- Discounts. Like most insurance companies, you’ll be able to find discounts to make these policies more affordable.
- High cost. State Farm is not the most affordable car insurance provider, especially if you don’t qualify for a discount. Make sure to weigh the benefits of customer service against the strain on your budget before choosing your policy.
Who is State Farm best for?
If you value a quick response to any claims that you may make, then State Farm is a safe bet. After all, the company touts its ability to be there as quickly as a good neighbor in your time of need.
Farmers Insurance offers non-owners car insurance with the promise of many discounts for safe drivers.
With a high rating from the Better Business Bureau, you can move forward with this company comfortably.
Farmers Insurance offers a wide range of discounts. But one of the biggest discounts is the safe driver discount. If you have a clean driving record, then you stand to earn a substantial discount on your policy.
- Discount options. Beyond the safe driver discount, you could also enjoy several discounts including a multi-car discount, a good student discount, and more.
- High rating. With an A+ from the Better Business Bureau, you can be confident working with this company.
- Limited availability. Farmers Insurance is not available in every state.
Who is Farmers Insurance best for?
Farmers Insurance offers a quality policy at a reasonable price. When you seek out the discounts, you can take advantage of this affordable option. Plus, the solid reputation of this company can help put your mind at ease.
GEICO is known for offering some of the most affordable car insurance options on the market. After all, all of us have seen the commercials that promise 15% savings in just 15 minutes.
It might be the perfect opportunity to call and find out if you can truly save that much. Car insurance varies by the situation, so check with GEICO to see if they can provide an affordable option for you.
If you enjoy fast service, then GEICO’s instant quote feature can be very appealing. An instant online quote can show you exactly how much you could be saving. But you still have the option to talk to a live agent if you have any questions.
- Instant quote. You will not need to wait around for a GEICO quote. With an instant quote, you can compare your options quickly.
- Discounts. It is possible to qualify for several discounts with GEICO. With that, you can score an even lower price.
- Few community agents. Although there are some GEICO agents that you can talk to in-person, they are few and far between.
Who is GEICO best for?
If you are looking for affordable car insurance, then GEICO is a great option. Although some of the best deals are only available through a discount group, most drivers can score a fair quote. A few of the most common discounts GEICO offers include student discounts, military affiliations, and alumni groups. Check into your membership groups to see if you have access to a GEICO discount.
Nationwide offers non-owners car insurance to drivers across the country. You’ll be comfortable with the coverage offered by this well-known company. With Nationwide, you’ll have access to different coverage levels. From the state minimum to a more comprehensive plan, you can choose the policy that suits your budget and your risk tolerance.
A few of the best features offered by Nationwide include a vanishing deductible, accident forgiveness, and a SmartRide app. With the vanishing deductible, you’ll be able to watch your annual deductible drop each year that you drive safely. The SmartRide app can help Nationwide determine your driving behavior and potentially offer you a discount for safe driving.
- SmartRide app discount. If you are a safe driver, then you can use that to your advantage. Download the app to share your driving habits with Nationwide to potentially receive a discount.
- Vanishing deductible. As you become a safer driver, you can capitalize on that with a lower deductible each year.
- Below average customer service. Although you can score a deal with Nationwide, the general customer satisfaction ratings for the company are on the low end.
Who is Nationwide best for?
If you are a safe driver with the inclination to download the SmartRide app, then you can enjoy an affordable policy. You’ll be able to use your safe driving habits to score a significant discount on your premiums.
Although non-owners policies are generally more affordable than traditional car insurance policies, every small amount of savings helps.
Unlike many companies on this list, you may not have heard about American Family. What this company lacks in brand recognition, it makes up for with a solid car insurance product. The coverage offered for non-owners insurance is only available in some states, but it can be an affordable option where available.
American Family offers a wide range of discounts to its customers. You can save a significant amount of money if you qualify for a good driver discount, loyalty discount, defensive driver discount, good student discount, volunteer discount, and many more. Plus, you’ll receive a discount as a young driver if your parents already work with American Family.
- Discounts. You’ll be able to find an affordable policy with the diverse selection of discounts.
- High customer satisfaction. Customers are generally happy with the policies and service offered by American Family.
- Limited availability. American Family doesn’t offer policies in every state.
Who is American Family best for?
If you are a young driver that can qualify for multiple discounts, then American Family is a great fit. You’ll have access to helpful customer service at a great price.
USAA offers a variety of financial services to military members, veterans, and their families. One of their products in non-owner car insurance. Before you can sign up for this policy, you’ll need to fill out a detailed questionnaire about the vehicles you drive as a non-owner.
After filling out the questionnaire, USAA will confirm whether or not you are eligible to use their non-owner car insurance policy.
USAA offers high-quality customer service to its members. Since the company focuses on military members and their families, they are used to working with unique situations. If you are unsure about your non-owners car insurance policy, USAA agents would be happy to answer any of your questions.
One of the most useful discounts available through USAA is the ability to lower your rate for times when you are deployed overseas. Since you will likely not be driving when personal vehicles while deployed, you’ll be able to avoid overpaying during that time.
- Great customer service. With multiple awards for customer services, USAA knows how to treat it’s customers right.
- Competitive prices. You can find affordable quotes with USAA.
- Limited availability. USAA is only available to military members, veterans, and their families. If you don’t fall into that category, then you are unable to take advantage of their features.
Who is USAA best for?
If you are a military member or veteran that wants to buy non-owners car insurance at an affordable price, then USAA is a good choice. Especially if you anticipate being deployed in the near future.
Summary of the best non-owner car insurance companies
|Progressive||“Name Your Price” tool|
|State Farm||Responsive customer service|
|Farmers Insurance||Safe driver discount|
|GEICO||Affordable options for drivers of all kinds|
|Nationwide||Low cost options for safe drivers|
|American Family||Unique discounts that could help young drivers save more|
|USAA||Only available to military members, veterans, and their family|
How I came up with this list
I scoured the insurance industry for the best non-owner car insurance options. Unfortunately, there are not too many car insurance companies that offer non-owner insurance at a reasonable price.
With that, I present the best options that I could find. However, you may not find the best company for your situation on this list. Take your own needs into account before deciding on a policy.
What does non-owner car insurance cover?
Non-owner car insurance offers liability coverage for both bodily injury and property damage if you are driving a car that you do not own. In most respects, it works in a similar way to traditional car insurance.
If you were in an accident and found to be at-fault, then your non-owner car insurance policy would protect you from any potential lawsuits. In addition to legal protection, a non-owner car insurance policy might include personal injury protection, rental car liability coverage, and uninsured or underinsured motorist liability insurance. The specifics of your policy will vary based on which one you choose.
The major difference between traditional car insurance and non-owner car insurance is that the car you are driving will not be covered. This is because there is no single vehicle covered in the non-owners car insurance policy. However, you will have some of your liabilities covered which is less risky than driving with no car insurance.
Why you need non-owners car insurance
If you drive a car often but don’t own the car, then you should consider non-owners insurance. The policy is sold on a per-person basis, so you can choose to just insure yourself.
Although you are not legally required to obtain car insurance if you don’t own a car, it is still a good idea. If you regularly borrow cars from family members and friends or rent cars often, then you should consider this option.
However, if you own a car and rarely borrow other people’s cars, then it is not necessary to get non-owner car insurance. If you borrow a car from the person you live with, then you might not qualify for a non-owner policy. But you should check with your insurer to confirm that.
What to look for in non-owner car insurance
As with all car insurance, you need to read the fine print before choosing your car insurance policy. If you own a car you will not need to purchase non-owners insurance because your car insurance will usually cover you even if you are driving another car.
Here are a few things to look out for as you shop.
Consider the reason you are buying non-owner car insurance. If you are renting or borrowing cars regularly, then you’ll want to ensure that your quote covers everything you would need it to.
Think about the different scenarios you may need your non-owner car insurance to cover and read the fine print to make sure it is actually covered.
There is a wide range of pricing available for non-owner car insurance. In order to get the best price, make sure to obtain quotes from multiple car insurance companies.